11 October 2017

Collecting Seeds of Pot Marigold (Calendula officinalis)


Pot marigolds (Calendula officinalis) were my favourite flowers this year. I do not remember where the seeds came from but I picked them myself and had them stored for a few years, yet they germinated perfectly. I primarily grew them for their leaves as food for Rocket (yes, tortoises can eat pot marigold, but not other marigolds, which might have the same English name but actually are not related to each other - English can be very confusing. It is always better to go by the scientific Latin name). They did not do very well until I moved them into direct sunlight. It is almost middle of October and they are still flowering.


When I was little and wasn't such a huge fan of creepy crawlies as I am now, the marigold seeds terrified me because they looked like a cluster of caterpillars. I'm sure you'll see what I mean when you look at the picture below.


I let the seeds dry on the plant and then cut the whole head off and let them dry thoroughly on a tray at home. Then I store them in a labelled paper envelope where they will rest until spring. With so many seeds already dried and many more forming, I will probably have more than enough for a nice flower border and more than enough tortoise food.


3 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I love marigolds. Not only are they pretty, they are easy to grow. I miss my garden, so I will need to come back for more garden fixes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have brought a plant indoors and it is growing all right. I don't see why it wouldn't grow in a pot in your mobile home :) Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I have one good reason. Our cat Dusty loves to eat all kinds of plants. Not a single cut flower is safe in our mobile home. I do keep a pot of Wheat Grass for him and for me. :D

      Delete

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...