02 October 2013

Wednesday Night Sock Yarn

Making a yarn out of old used clothing is something I always wanted to try, especially after I saw wonderful rugs made by EsteraP and found the easy how-to tutorial on MollieMakes. As you can see, it worked out perfectly, so ignore the silly comment below the tutorial (the person must have done some mistake). I didn't have to "waste" any clothing, after all, the whole point of making this type of yarn is to use clothes that would get thrown out otherwise. I used two socks with holes on their heels that I really wouldn't even bother to throw into the charity bin.


The yarn that came out is not wonderfully regular or beautiful, but it is mine! I got more than five meters of thick yarn from each sock. From now on, we are not throwing any socks away! And when we move, I will dye all the yarn  and make a bathroom rug from it. It's a dream! And so romantic - having a shared rug made of our worn socks!!! Romantically creepy? A bit too much? Should I have said it will be my socks only? Oh well... Being a bit of a geek has never hurt anyone...

The good news is that you do not have to undergo the whole "looking for the bad sock" process and can simply buy the yarn if you want to. Etsy shops such as TheRecyclery, OfUsualtees, Chennapenna,  meangreenmachine, EclecticNotions, TShirtYarnBoutique, GreenTeeYarns, pinkamigo and downtherabbitholeSH sell lovely t-shirt yarns.

4 comments:

  1. I love recycled yarns, I never tried socks before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you can make yarn from almost anything! It does not even have to be seamless, but socks worked really well :)

      Delete
  2. romantically creepy...hahahaha
    but this is a great idea.
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrow

    ReplyDelete

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...