14 October 2012

Swimming with jellies



There’s a thing that kept me jumping around happily for about three days at the end of September. A friend of mine needed some freshwater jellyfish (Craspedacusta sowerbii) for her students and I was the one she asked for help! So when A. came to visit me, we got our wetsuits and fins and masks and weights and celebrated the first day of October by having our first Czech dive together in a quarry called Borek. The jellyfish were quite small but abundant, hanging around in the water collumn, some near the surface, some quite deep, floating in the dark waters of the quarry like semi-transparent little ghosts . They were beautiful. It was my first dive with them and I loved it. The day was sunny, it was warm and we got lots of jellies and saw a bucket under water, lots of fish and a very angry crayfish that tried to scare me and I gave it a scare back, but it wouldn’t get scared. I think I don’t do the crayfish sign language right. 

During our way back to Prague by train we met a very loud Floridian lady with her much quieter Floridian husband who told us about this honeybadger video. Apparently ( and now I really feel the need to point out that there are certain scientific inaccuracies there :-b ), they are pretty nasty and bad-ass and they dont't give a.... well, watch it!!! :))))

1 comment:

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...